Matsalu national park and the West Estonian islands.

Section 62. Hiiumaa Island.

SEE Worth seeing

Heltermaa Port and handicraft house.
The principal task of Heltermaa Harbour is to receive and service liners on the Heltermaa-Rohuküla route. In addition there are also conditions in the Harbour for receiving and fast and high-quality servicing of cargo and passenger ships. Heltermaa Harbour can also receive yachts with a maximum draught of 2.8 meters. There is a hotel, an information point, a store selling handicraft and a bar in the Harbour. State Port Register
Pühalepa church (Pühalepa kirik)
The Pühalepa Church is Hiiumaa’s oldest stone church. In 1255, the German Order started the construction of a stone fortress-church. Initially lacking a steeple, the arched stone church was completed in the 14th century; construction of the steeple started in 1770. After it renovation in the 19th century, Crosses of Malta were painted on the walls that are primarily associated with the membership of the Ungern-Sternberg family members in this Order. Interesting fact: One of the inauguration crosses has survived on the wall of the choir room.An unusual stone pulpit was given to the Pühalepa Church by the Hiiesaare manor lords, the Gentschiens in 1636.The burial chapel of the von Stenbock family is in the churchyard.
N Suuremõisa castle (Suuremõisa loss).

A manor complex in Baroque style with a museum, decorative garden and park.

Suure Port (Suuresadama).

An Old Fishing Port and Barn.

Hiiumaa museum “Pikk Maja” (Long House)

It introduces you to the history of the island and the development of the textile factory.

The walking path Kärdla – Tõrvanina, 5.5 km.

A coastal plank-way path with campfire places.

Mihkli Farmstead-Museum.
Mihkli Farm in Malvaste village is an excellent example of the rural architecture of Northern Hiiu County. The buildings are mostly from the 19th century and there, visitors can get to know the local construction practices and household items. Until the deportation of 1781, the farm was home to a family of Hiiu Swedes. The last residents left the farm in 1987. The farm's spacious courtyard is perfect for organizing various events, having a picnic, and simply spending some lovely time. The location is exciting for children and adults alike. Children can play a fun game which helps discover the museum on their own and as they run around.
Tahkuna Lighthouse (Tahkuna tuletorn).
Tahkuna Lighthouse, situated on the north end of Hiiumaa, is a cast-iron lighthouse which's construction started in 1873. Assembled of cast iron parts, utilising the so-called Gordon system, it was created with prefabricated details. The details were easy to transport, making this tall tower rather easy to build. Did you know...? • The lighthouse was bought from the world exhibition of Paris in 1871 by Czarist Russia • It is Estonia's tallest lighthouse - 42.7 m above sea level
Hiiumaa Military Museum (Hiiumaa militaarmuuseum).

The exhibition consists of ammunition to coastal artillery, and military hikes are also organized.

N Luidja beach and Alder Forest.
Luidja alder forest may seem like an average black alder forest to everyday passers-by as you can find these trees elsewhere in Hiiumaa marshes and stream banks. But in fact this is an area which has more than a hundred year history in experimenting with fixating unique dunes. The alder forest was first established due to the need to protect the beach road of Luidja and the nearby fields and meadows from blowing sands. The alder forest was established by Karl Friedrich Vilhelm Ahrens (1855-1938) who was born in Germany in Meclenburg-Schwerin. He studied forestry in Rostock and Greifsvald. Ahrens established the alder forest in order to fixate the sand dunes in 1901-1903.
N Rebastemäe Hiking Trail (Rebastemäe matkarada), 1,5 km.

A circular trail with stairs and sightseeing platforms.

N Neljateeristi Nture Trial (Neljateeristi loodusrada), 3 km.

The trail passes across a steep bank that was a witness to the Ice Age.

Kõpu Lighthouse (Kõpu tuletorn).
The history of the oldest lighthouse not only in Estonia, but anywhere in the Baltic States and indeed on the Baltic Sea, stretches back 500 years, when landmarks were needed to guide ships in the Hanseatic League. The most important east-west trade route in Northern Europe passed the island of Hiiumaa and merchants complained of ships being lost on the Baltic Sea.  This led to the construction of the lighthouse at Kõpu to warn ships of the low waters off the island. The lighthouse was built at 67 metres above sea level at the highest point on Hiiumaa. It stands 36 metres above the ground, meaning its light shines out at 102.6 metres above sea level. No other lighthouses by the Baltic Sea are as high.
Ristna Nature Centre and Marine Department Store.

An exhibition of sea waste gathered on the beach.

Ristna Lighthouse and Surfer’s Paradise.

The Ristna Cape lighthouse was constructed in 1874 from parts manufactured in France. There is a small cafe at its foot, open summer only.

N Vanajõe Valley Hiking Trail (Vanajõe oru õpperada), 1 km.
Vanajõe valley is a place that confirms that Hiiu County has it all: rivers, lakes, hills, and valleys. The valleys, in particular, seem quite unusual in this environment, because it seems impossible to go below sea level on such a flat landscape. Nevertheless, the valley with its high sandy banks and mysterious brownish water is a true treasure. The running water has shaped a deeper and more natural base for itself in the soft sandy soil. February daphne grows profusely here, the sea trout comes to spawn here, and the European weasel tries to regain a foothold. Coloured earth has also been found in the Vanajõe valley, which was dissolved in water and used for painting houses.
Sõru Port and Shipping Centre.

An exhibition about the culture of local shipping and ferry traffic to/from Saaremaa Island.

N Orjaku Study Trail (Orjaku õpperada), 3 km.

A plank-way path with a birdwatching tower.

Orjaku Port and Muuli Hiking Trail.
Orjaku Harbour has 40 berths and can accommodate five caravans. The harbour is located near a nature reserve. It has been a fishing spot since as early as the 17th century. In 1912, the Russian government started construction works to turn the harbour into a naval base for the mine laying fleet of the Imperial Russian Navy. In summer, there is a café and village centre open in the harbour, where you can get acquainted with exhibitions, purchase local handicrafts, use the public internet, and ask for tourist information about Hiiumaa sights and events. There are several hiking trails near the harbour. The area is also popular with birdwatchers.
N Sääretirp, 2 km.

Rocky horn reaching into the sea.

Vaemla Wool Factory (Vaemla villavabrik).

This wool factory has operated since 1860.